Tuesday, July 27, 2010

home again

I feel like I have had several homes, but Colorado has always had a special place in my heart. We've been back several times over the years, but this time I noticed a gigantic difference. Many, many, many more people.
We took off to the hard to get to, high altitude mountains of the Continental Divide area past Tin Cup and Cumberland Pass to hike and camp. We are trying to work back up to summiting the peaks over 14,000 feet known as "fourteeners" and since we are older now, it's taking longer! We had to wear mosquito nets over our heads for the first time EVER!

I could not believe what else we ran into.... Hoards of ATVs.
I understand that it allows better access to those terrifying "roads" that can be difficult to maneuver and look like you will go careening off the edge at any moment, but I have to be honest and say that I was a little put off by the sheer numbers of them, the noise and the pollution. I also understand that it is fun family thing to do, but the experience is not the same for us hikers. When we are high up and challenging our muscles with every step and in complete awe of and respectful of God's work, to me, it's like being in church. We finally got to a point where the ATVs were not allowed. The Continental Divide Trail up at 12,000 plus feet. We stayed up there and hiked and savored until we were forced back down with threatening weather. But for a few hours, I felt......Ahhhhhh.....home again.


No comments:

Post a Comment