Thursday, August 19, 2010

Everyone is a critic

The age old question burns on; What is Art?

Well, everyone has a different answer depending on many variables, including one's tastes, and points of reference and life experiences. It's subjective, as they say. The Bravo TV reality show Work of Art has exacted quite the controversy and I've found it really interesting that it's caused such a sensation. Art critics think its dribble and overly simplistic, but what they
need to remember is that it is a television show meant for mass appeal.

Time Magazine has pointed out that some of the show's viewers have appreciated a glimpse into the creative process, no matter who the cast of characters are. I am glad to hear that, because there are so many people who don't think art is work. For instance, on the graphic design side of art, yes, there is a technical aspect to it, however, the computer is merely a tool used within the creative process. Contrary to what many people think, we can't just push a button on our computers and a logo or a Cd cover or whatever, does not just magically fly out!! Creativity, design principles and psychology are just a few things that are involved.

I was especially interested in the critiques and how several "experts" perceived pieces in different ways, thereby illustrating the complex ideas and concepts behind the work.
Some of those ideas, I have to admit, would escape me if not explained and sometimes it seemed like they were just reaching. Many of those pieces I did not particularly consider to be visually appealing and I thought were a bit narcissistic. But then again, I have more of a commercial mindset. I do, however, try to stay open to ideas and there is always something to be learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment