Monday, April 19, 2010

the action

I love rodeo excitement! Capturing split seconds of the movements that you cannot see as it happens is really thrilling to me. The motion is incredible not only as a whole, but also the sum of all the parts. The wild manes and tails of the horses, mixed in with the flying fringe of the cowboys chaps is visually stimulating. Not to mention the positions and contortions of the body positions of the cowboys combined with the power and strength you see in the horses and bulls. You can almost see what each of them is thinking!
wings to fly

crazy action

The textures, patterns and colors of the chaps, the leather gear, the clothing, and the horses winter coats play a large role in the visual impact of each shot! This is why I like small, outdoor arenas in the winter. The small arenas allow me to get closer with my 400mm lens and the winter coasts of the horses add an interesting element. Being outside allows me to get the light I need for sharpness through a long lens. I also enjoy the shadows that can happen as the afternoon progresses. And, as if those were not enough good reasons, I also love the thrill of the smaller crowd. The audience tends to feed off each other, making it just so much fun!
fluffy winter coat

So you can see how my mix of influences and inspirations has become a culmination of my recent rodeo works with glowing colors and darker backgrounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment